Amazon Price: N/A (as of April 26, 2018 3:36 pm –
DVD Guitar Instruction
Classical Guitar Sprezzatura is a DVD guitar lesson for guitar players of any style who wish to either learn fingerstyle guitar techniques or to improve their fingerstyle guitar playing. This is a technique video and focuses primarily on the right hand not teaching songs.
* But I don’t play classical. Many aspiring players may not realize that lots of the greatest rock, blues, or jazz guitarists started with classical because of it’s incredibly comprehensive technique arsenal. One can learn the technique and play any style of song. This guitar tutorial is a perfect foundation to any guitar style be it jazz, flamenco, classical, blues or for even the rock guitarist who wants to work on rock ballads.
* Dr. Mark Switzer demonstrates the foundational right hand techniques typically found in classical guitar, breaks each down very simply and then provides the student with exercises designed to perfect each technique for use with any style of music.
* What makes this guitar instructional DVD lesson different? Our camera shows the right hand technique of the rest stroke and free stroke from the student's perspective which makes the material far easier to absorb. This guitar tutorial also focuses on teaching the foundational techniques instead of teaching licks or a single song. It therefore teaches how to play the guitar well rather than how to play a single song.
* A solid value. For the price of a DVD, the guitar student obtains multiple guitar lessons that can be paused and rewound as many times as they want to really see the technique accurately.
* But I’m a guitar teacher. This guitar tutorial also serves as a wonderful supplement for a guitar instructor to use with their students to address fingerstyle basics with incredibly efficient and effective technique. Basic exercises are also shown to aid in the development of the techniques.
* What makes Mark qualified? The guitar techniques presented in this DVD are not just the product of Mark's 40 plus years with the classical guitar but rather it is a continuance of a long tradition which he learned from maestro Pepe Romero and from his father Celedonio Romero, who worked with Daniel Fortea, who was a pupil of Francisco Tarrega, the "father of the modern guitar."
* But I don’t know how to read music. This DVD lesson does not require the student to read music. Every technique and exercise given is broken down in great detail.
* Why bother learning a solid technique? I only want to learn a song. Once the guitarist learns an efficient, solid basic technique there are many benefits such as…
· More difficult pieces can be learned more quickly and more easily
· The performer feels less fatigue
· The music can flow unimpeded from thought to fingers
· The audience can also enjoy the performance from a visual aspect
When sold by Amazon.com, this product is manufactured on demand using DVD-R recordable media. Amazon.com's standard return policy will apply.
- Actors: Mark Switzer
- Directors: Paul Birtwell
- Writers: Mark Switzer
- Producers: Paul Birtwell
- Format: NTSC
- Region: All Regions
- Number of discs: 1
- Studio: Switzer Birtwell Music Productions LLC
- DVD Release Date: December 8, 2010
- Run Time: 92 minutes
- ASIN: B004FN275Y
13 people found this helpful.
I was lucky to have studied classical guitar under Dr. Mark Switzer. Through his instruction, my guitar skills improved and grew to the point where I was performing pieces I would have never dreamed possible. During those lessons, I develped a lifelong appreciation and love for the guitar and its music. When I saw Dr. Switzer had a DVD out, I immediately ordered it. I’m happy to say, it is everything I could have hoped for. He does a great job of breaking down all the skills and techniques needed to be a great classical guitarist. These skills are crucial for beginners to get correct early on if they want to develop into an upper level performer. Also its a great review for more experienced performers who may need to double check what they know and to make sure no bad habits are slipping in. There is also a helpful segment on how to avoid common guitarist injuries. Dr. Switzer’s easy going manner and respect for the viewer/student is a much welcomed contrast to many of the other DVD’s where the viewer is being spoken down to as an inferior.
This is an excellent dvd in teaching the basics as to free and …
This is an excellent dvd in teaching the basics as to free and rest stroke.Mark has sincerely presented these concepts with clarity so one gets a solid understanding of the fundementals.Two things in respect to guitar quandary I wish he had used a closer distance in respect to nail shap and also might have described shapping more.Also I wish he had spent some time on tremolo technique.All in all this is a good dvd to have in ones library.
Good advice, though I could have gotten that from …
I expected this cd to have more instructional material. It only dealt with hand position. Not enough for the price. Good advice, though I could have gotten that from my actual guitar instructor.
Classical Guitar Sprezzatura
3 people found this helpful.
I’m a beginner so I would say that he is a good instructor. He plays well and shows the techniques clearly. I’m very pleased with this DVD.
Great method; powerful teacher.
I was wrong on my initial impression; it is darn good.
2 people found this helpful.
My initial review was based on too little of using this DVD. It actually is very good and shows hand action from various angles to clarify the strokes. I feel foolish to have written a review without adequate investigation of the whole DVD full of good teaching.
Fantastic instructional video for guitarists of all levels.
7 people found this helpful.
I have been playing guitar for 20 years and have been teaching guitar for 10 years. I have long awaited a video that teaches solid technique without any nonsense. I purchased this video and upon watching it I new that I had finally found a diamond in the rough. The techniques taught in this DVD are fantastic, time tested, and proven to produce virtuosity. I have since used this video in my private lessons as well as my middle school guitar classes with fantastic results. The students tone improved drastically during the first session as the camera angles show exactly what is happening with the right hand strokes. I pause the video when needed and allow each step to become comfortable for the group. I am simply amazed at the rapid rate of growth that I am seeing in my students since I began using the DVD as part of my class. I have taught guitar class for several years with varying levels of success. I found that when time is limited, and one on one exposure is sometimes not possible; then some students develop undesirable habits in their technique. Now that I have this video and have seen it in action in the classroom I am confident that all of my students are getting a foundation in technique that will serve them well into the future of their musicianship. Simply put you can not go wrong with this fantastic instructional video.
A great instructional DVD for guitarists of all levels!
7 people found this helpful.
“Classical Guitar Sprezzatura” is a fantastic instructional DVD. I have been playing and teaching the guitar for a number of years, and I am always on the lookout for materials that I can recommend to my students or use myself to help solidify my own understanding of fundamental concepts and techniques. Dr. Mark Switzer’s “Sprezzatura” does just that. Switzer explains right and left hand guitar technique clearly and comprehensively, making it easy to understand and imitate what he does in the video. The camera captures his hands from several different angles, including some great close-up shots, so there is never any doubt about what he is doing. Switzer also discusses other important aspects of guitar playing such as good sitting posture, nail care for classical guitarists, and hand and finger health. And Switzer performs several great pieces from the classical guitar repertory with expressive, lyrical beauty and of course that solid technique that he teaches throughout the DVD. Highly recommended!
Great Introdcution to finger style technique.
12 people found this helpful.
This is a jewel. It is a great introduction to the finger style technique of classical guitar. It actually feels like you are taking a private lesson with Mr. Switzer, which is a vast improvement over the over-produced, commercial videos otherwise available. This is a raw, serious instruction video. Any guitar player would benefit from this video should pick this up. Kudos to Switzer and Birtwell.
9 people found this helpful.
I was lucky enough to study with Mark Switzer in the early/mid 90s and This video captures exactly what I was hoping it would – Those first critical classical guitar lessons that I have constantly found myself trying to remember later on. The fundamentals behind a proper free stroke, rest stroke, relaxation, and controlling energy in a way that makes practice time more effective, virtuosic passages less “scary”, and performances more consistent and enjoyable for both player and listener.